Emergency-hosting proposals for people in the Mediterranean Sea”
House of Mohammed Ali, Kavala
21 October - 15 December 2016
MOHA Research Center fulfilled the opening of “Sheltering Humanity” exhibition, on Friday, 21st October 2016, at 7.30p.m. at the premises of House of Mohammed Ali, in the old town of Kavala.
The exhibition is the outcome of the open call for design concepts and architectural proposals for emergency sheltering and environmental protection on shores and coastlines of the Mediterranean Sea, receiving people from countries suffering conflicts and political turmoil, which was announced on January 2016.
A wide range of design concepts and proposals have been received, covering an impressive array of ideas on emergency hosting. A total of 60 projects have been submitted by 122 architects and designers, from 19 countries all over the world (Greece, Italy, Cyprus, Denmark, China, United Kingdom, Serbia, India, Portugal, Egypt, Iran, Tunisia, Lebanon, Hungary, Spain, Netherlands, Taiwan, Peru, USA).
The scientific committee, which consists of:
• Nikolaos Kalogirou (Head of committee) Professor, School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
• Alkmini Paka, Assistant Professor, School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
• Anastasios Tellios, Assistant Professor, School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
• Konstantinos Sakantamis, Lecturer, School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
• Dimitris Kaziolas, Associate Professor, Eastern Macedonia & Thrace Institute of Technology
• Despoina Zavraka, Lecturer, Eastern Macedonia & Thrace Institute of Technology
completed the reviewing procedure on April 2016 and decided to award three (3) prizes ‘ex aequo’ and seven (7) special mentions.
At the opening of “Sheltering Humanity” exhibition, awarded the best projects as follows:
PRIZES ‘ex aequo’:
• Project tittle: ‘BYOD - Build Your Own Home: shelter in less than five minutes’
Design team: Antonia Kalatha, Andrius Serapinas, Chris Borg Constanzi, Dorine van der Linden
• Project tittle: ‘The Sliding Hug’
Design team: Fotini Kalfa
• Project tittle: ‘Matriz: Deployable Emergency Shelter’
Design team: Felipe Ferrer, Peter Seinfeld, Jhonattan Díaz Gastelo, Joselyn Salinas Colunche, Juan Pablo Calderón Cayo, Marisol Michilot Yalán, Nadia Cabrera Salazar, Nicole Castañeda García, Pavel Rosales Espinoza, Renato Farro Rivero, Renatto Pozo Godfrey
• Project tittle: ‘Re-adjustments of temporariness’
Design team: Emmanouela Chafnavi
• Project tittle: ‘Wearable Shelter’
Design team: Harriet Harris, Graeme Brooker, Zara Ashby, Cassis Buckhart, Hailey Darling, Gabriela Geagea, Anne-Sophie Geay, Eve Hoffman, Ruben Van Den Bossche, Giulia Silovy
• Project tittle: ‘Accordion Shelter’
Design team: Samer El Sayary
• Project tittle: ‘Oil Price: Homelessness’
Design team: Hesam Alavi
• Project tittle: ‘Emerged: Parameterization Platform of Collective Life’
Design team: Christina Kalampouka, Evangelia Mori
• Project tittle: ‘Designing the Ark’
Design team: Katerina Myserli
• Project tittle: ‘Aeolian Gaea’
Design team: Marina Dimopoulou
The exhibition will last until Thursday, 15th December, 2016.
MOΗΑ Board of directors
“Sheltering Humanity” coordinators